Monday 13 August 2007

Praying in tongues...

Well, following the long-awaited 'Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum' (the Pope's rubber stamp for priest's to say the old Latin mass without having to seek permission from the local bishop) there has been a glut of information flying around cyberspace. A new site, Sancta Missa, has just come to my attention which gives you everything you need to know about the 1962 Missale Romanum. It is, in fact, a tutorial site to give everyone confidence, be they clergy or the faithful, in participating in the Tridentine rite. Just the thing for 40-somethings like myself who have no knowledge of such matters. I can't wait to get my teeth stuck into it. Anybody know where I can pick up a nice mantilla? In the words of the late Hughie Green "Friends, I mean that most sincerely..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm sorry but I am the other end of forty so just remember the Latin Mass, last time. Why people feel the need to go and celebrate the Eucharist in a language they don't understand is beyond me. Unless there are millions of underground Latin scholars out there? The Latin mass is a now piece of Church opera. Beautiful, no doubt, but I if I want to tell the Lord I love him I'll say it in English.

People's Blog said...

Well said! And of course, He will understand you, 'cos He's actually quite clever! I don't know if I am interpreting it correctly but from what I have seen on the Sancta Missa site, the whole thing seems to be a lot more priest-centred - making it more of a spectator event than a participatory activity. Though it may just be that it takes a lot longer for the priest to say the same stuff in Latin! I don't think it matters a jot if it is in Latin or English - in my humble opinion,it's essentially a snob thing.