Monday 9 April 2007

Livesimply

Food shopping can be a nightmare, especially for busy mums, so is it any wonder that it is hard to just buy what we need without buying too much and throwing a lot of it away. I was shocked to read an article in the Daily Mail taking one person's week and seeing how much unused food she did throw away.
I am as guilty as anyone, at the moment there resides in my fridge two pieces of cheese slowly getting more green by the minute which I only bought because friends were coming. I had to throw away a whole bunch of grapes because I had forgotten that they were there. The list is endless. I am going to make a real effort to make this a part of my livesimply promise not to waste food by overbuying. I really believe it can be done and not only do you waste less food, you will save money!
If you have ideas share them with us. We all want to live more simply but when you go into a supermarket common sense goes out the window as we are overwhelmed by the vast quantities of food that assails our senses. Here are a few of my suggestions;
Don't overbuy and end up throwing away
If you can't resist a BOGOF make sure it doesn't become a throw one away
Buy at local butchers
Buy at local greengrocers
Only buy from supermarkets what I can't get locally eg favourite pate and cloudy apple juice (my husband insists only Tesco's will do)
Buy Fairtrade.

A reforming Food Waster

1 comment:

People's Blog said...

Yeah, one aspect of living simply is surely to support the local shops. Often you can find better quality foods and locally sourced. Let me share a recommendation which Eleanor, the wife of the Vicar of Barnston, gave me (we're such an ecumenical lot, when we set our minds to it!) Give Edge's the New Ferry butcher a try. It's a traditional butcher and one of the few licenced to slaughter animals, all of which are organically reared. There is a website www.traditionalmeat.com and even a mail order local delivery service.